Under Glass & Direct
UNDER GLASS AND DIRECT:
· Fill seed tray or pot with compost, gently firm to eliminate air pockets, water and allow to drain before sowing.
· Place or scatter (depending on seed size) seed thinly over surface.
· Sieve layer of compost over seed. Do not cover exceptionally fine seed.
· Water with fine rosed watering can or stand in water until compost darkens.
· Label with crop and date of sowing.
· Stretch line across intended row.
· Take out a drill by using the corner of a hoe against the line, making a V-shaped drill (For very fine seed the end of a bamboo cane will provide a deep enough drill).
· Water the bottom of the drill and allow to drain.
· Sow seeds very thinly and regularly along it.
ently cover the seeds with soil
Crop Protection and supports:
· Cloches- corrugated / Glass / rigid / plastic bottles / glass lantern / plastic bells
· Cold frames / glasshouses
· Fleeces / fine netting / shading mesh
· Root collars
· Pea sticks / Bamboo canes / chicken wire / string
· Root crops- thinning out / keep soil weed free and moist / water dry spells / employ measures to minimise crop specific pests and disease.
· Brassicas -cool weather crop than tends to bolt during hot dry spells / water transplants daily and mature plants once a week during dry spell / cover crop with fleece to prevent butterflies laying eggs / watch for slugs, snails, aphids and whitefly / hand pick off crop or employ necessary control.
Alliums - after dry spell / keep soil weed free / maintain good air circulation around plants / seedlings more susceptible to onion fly damage then sets.
Legumes - keep soil weed free / mulch / no need to water before flowering, unless plants are wilting / water generously when flowering starts to encourage pods to set / pinch out growing tips when top of supports.
Fruiting crops - water well during flowering and fruit development / Cordon tomatoes need tying and sideshoots removed / pinch out growing tip of aubergines and peppers for compact growth / apply liquid fertilizer when fruit set.